Skip to content

FAQs for Parents

Frequently Asked Questions

How should I make sure my student has money overseas?

  • Check with your local bank to get their advice and to find out if they have any arrangements with foreign banks.
  • ATM/DEBIT Cards are convenient as there are ATM cash card machines in cities around the world and the exchange rates are the most current.  Be aware that sometimes you cannot choose between withdrawals from checking or savings accounts on foreign ATMs.  Transactions may take up to a month to appear on bank statements, so it is important to keep close track of withdrawals. 
  • It is a good idea to purchase about $250 of the host country currency before leaving the U.S. because your student might not have immediate access to a bank.
  • Travelers Cheques are issued by major banks and travel agencies and can be replaced if stolen or lost. However, they are primarily only exchangeable at major banks, not restaurant or retail locations.
  • Credit Cards are quite handy in emergencies and are recommended.
  • Opening an account in the host country is sometimes possible, however, this is not always the case.
  • Discuss how funds can be transferred in case of an emergency with your student prior to their departure.

How often should I communicate with my student while they are abroad?
Discuss a communications schedule with your student prior to departure. Whether you agree to talk on the phone once a week or once a month be sure to set a schedule that everyone can depend on. Don't forget to take time zones into consideration!

Will my student have health insurance while abroad?
Students attending a Loyola program receive health insurance as a part of their program.

Students attending a Non-Loyola program are responsible for obtaining their own health insurance while abroad. Many Non-Loyola programs include health insurance or offer health insurance as an option for students.

Will my student receive academic credit while abroad?
Credits taken abroad should transfer to Loyola and be counted towards your student's degree. Students must plan in advance, select appropriate courses, and obtain approval prior to going abroad. All study abroad students are required to carry a full load (a minimum of 12 credits during the fall or spring semester) while abroad.
Students receiving a foreign transcript for their time abroad will receive pass/ fail credits on their Loyola transcript.

Students receiving a U.S. transcript for their time abroad will receive their earned letter grade on their Loyola transcript. The letter grades students receive while studying abroad do not factor into their GPA.

What type of housing will be available to my student?
Housing varies greatly by program. Some programs offer integrated university housing, while others offer homestays (living with local families). Be sure to check with your student to find out what kind of housing is available on their particular program.

Tips for parents:
Make sure that someone has a valid passport in your family during the entire duration of your student's study abroad experience, in case of emergencies. Make a contingency plan with your student ahead of time, in case there is a family emergency that includes contact numbers for family members.

Who do I call if I need to contact someone in the Center for International Education?
Debbie Danna, Director of the Center for International Education
Mariette Thomas, Study Abroad Advisor, Center for International Education