Skip to content

Health & Accident Insurance

All student studying abroad must have a health insurance specifically designed for study abroad.  Generally, the health insurance that you have in the U.S. (or your home country) does not have the special features needed by you while abroad. 

All students on Loyola-sponsored exchange/study abroad programs will have GeoBlue health insurance through the Lewer Agency, unless exempted*, and will have a card and information prior to their departure.  For more information on insurance for Loyola programs and claim forms, please download the GeoBlue Member Guide 2023.pdfThe study abroad insurance is mandatory and students cannot opt out of coverage. The cost is $88/month for each month of the duration or your Loyola Exchange/Study Abroad program for the Gold Plan with a $250,000 limit. Higher limits are available. Note that loss arising from participation in high-risk activities such as scuba/sky diving, hang gliding, bungee jumping, zip lining, etc. is not likely to be covered by insurance.

Some countries (e.g., Australia, France, Germany, Mexico, Korea, Switzerland) require that students participating in study abroad programs purchase local health insurance in that country, in addition to the LewerMark GeoBlue insurance that Loyola requires. Students are responsible for purchasing this insurance if it is a requirement for the country where they will be studying. See the program budget sheets for more information.

*Exemptions: Students attending the following programs will have to purchase an insurance through the host institutions/organizations. These plans meet Loyola's requirements so students will not be required to purchase LewerMark GeoBlue insurance:

Students studying abroad on these programs are not required to purchase LewerMark GeoBlue insurance, however LewerMark GeoBlue insurance is available to any student studying abroad. To purchase LewerMark GeoBlue insurance, contact

Please note: Some of the insurance policies that are required for students studying abroad on Loyola programs in Spain, the Netherlands and New Zealand do not include repatriation and/or medical evacuation to the U.S. (or home country). Please review the insurance policy carefully. If repatriation and/or medical insurance is not covered, and you do not have this coverage already through your own (domestic) insurance plan, please purchase an additional standalone repatriation and medical evacuation plan, such as Global Plus Travel:

GeoBlue Wellness Assist
All students enrolled in GeoBlue insurance have access to GeoBlue Wellness Assist, which provides telephonic access to counselors and other types of support services. See the GeoBlue Global Wellness Assist flyer.  

U.S. Health Insurance Requirement
Additionally, Loyola requires all students to maintain U.S. health insurance coverage while abroad. This requirement applies to all students on a Loyola-approved study abroad program. This means that for the duration of your program, you must maintain a domestic insurance policy in the U.S. as well as a study abroad insurance policy. Unforeseen events may cause you to return to the U.S. earlier than originally intended--perhaps even with a medical condition requiring treatment--in which case it is imperative to maintain adequate domestic medical coverage even while studying abroad. The details of the Loyola Student Health Insurance plan can be found on Loyola University's Student Health Insurance Webpage

Revised 7/27/23