Skip to content
Absentee Voting > Study Abroad at Loyola University New Orleans

Absentee Voting

We want to make sure that you are able to vote in any upcoming elections. Because you will be living outside the United States, there are a few steps you must take to ensure that you receive an absentee ballot. If you are a U.S. American living overseas, even temporarily, you will have to use a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA)  to request your absentee ballot and to register to vote.  All states and territories accept the FPCA, but the information required varies. For complete information for each state and for the FPCA, check the website for Federal Voting Assistance for Overseas Citizens.

You must send your completed FPCA to the local election official in the county (or, in a few instances, city or town) where you last resided. Your legal residency is most likely where you live while studying or where your parents live.

We recommend that you fill out the FPCA before you leave the United States (preferably today). This will ensure that your local election officials have sufficient time to process your FPCA and send you your absentee ballot at the earliest point possible (usually 30-45 days before the election).


Last modified 07/06/2015