Skip to content
Passport and Visas > Study Abroad at Loyola University New Orleans


You will need a U.S. Passport Book even if you are going to Mexico. If you don't already have one, apply for one now. GET EXPEDITED PROCESSING if you are going abroad within the next six months. For complete information on applying for a passport, go to

Once you have your passport make 2-3 copies. Leave one with a family member or friend and put one in your suitcase. If you lose your passport, report it to local police, get written confirmation of the police report, and take the above documents to the nearest US consulate or embassy to apply for a new passport.

Birth Certificate

If you will be going abroad for a semester or year, it is a good idea to bring a CERTIFIED copy of your birth certificate (not the original). You may need it for visas or other official visits in your host country


Requirements for visas vary for each country. If you need a visa to study in a country, you will most likely need it before you arrive. Check the embassy or consulate of your host country. Allow sufficient time for processing your visa application, it could take 1-3 months. You may have to apply at the consulate that handles the state where you reside, and you may have to make a personal appearance at the consulate. So DON'T WAIT! You wouldn't want to miss this opportunity because you didn't have a visa. You can check on the Department of State website for travel requirements We have also listed below information on websites for the more popular countries:

Argentina Visa Information

Australia Visa Information

Chile Visa Information


Czech Republic Visa Information

France Visa Information

Germany Visa Information

India Visa Information

Italy Visa Information

Japan Visa Information

Mexico Visa Information

The Netherlands Visa Information

South Africa Visa Information

Spain Visa Information

UK Visa Information


Last modified 10/22/2012